U9 v Chellaston Boys FC Red Sox 10 September 2011

1:19 pm

So here it is. The first match of the season – in fact the first league match ever for the Blacks.

A nervous start for the Blacks saw an easy goal beating Tom Doran in his goalkeeping debut. 1-0 down within 5 minutes. This seemed to be all too familiar, but wait…..what’s that…..possession changed back to the Blacks and a run out for substitute Reuben Betts for Blaine Hughes saw some good chances for Marlborough in the first half with Ronnie Colver, Reuben Betts and George Jackson all coming close to being the first on the scoresheet. However, this position was soon taken deservedly by Jake Hayward with a well fought goal midway through the first half. Some staunch defending from the Scott Dunnicliffe and Jack Hadley partnership saw things pretty even for the remainder of the half, with a lapse of concentration allowing the Red Sox to pull ahead by the half time whistle.

The second half saw a few tactical changes in the line up, with Scott Dunnicliffe taking the no. 1 shirt for the first time, allowing Tom Doran to move up the field. With Reuben Betts and Ronnie Colver getting some rare defensive play, an early opportunity arose for Tom Doran to slip in the Blacks’ second goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal! Playing in to the wind proved to be a challenge for Marlborough and play concentrated around the middle of the pitch, with Blaine Hughes running the left wing and captain George Jackson running, well pretty much anywhere and everywhere!

Chellaston continued to press and Scott Dunnicliffe earned plenty of goal kick practice on his goal keeping debut, demonstrating that, despite the head wind, perhaps there’s a parallel career in rugby for him! Johnny Wilkinson should watch out….. however despite the good, penetrating kicks, Marlborough were unable to capitalise and a substitution made whilst defending a corner proved to be a costly one, with Jack Hadley’s return to the pitch unable to deny Chellaston the lead once more. At 3-2, the final whistle could not be far away. A long shot from the opposition saw Scott Dunnicliffe come out of the area to retrieve the ball. Unfortunately this time a rare error of judgement led to a free kick for Chellaston just outside the area. With the wind in their favour and a well struck shot, Dunnicliffe stood no chance (to be fair, most Premiership keepers would have been unable to save that!) and the final whistle settled the match at 4-2 to Chellaston. Congratulations to our inaugural Man of the Match, George Jackson. I’m not sure we can stretch to champagne, but a Fruit Shoot has your name on it George 🙂

Marlborough could hold their heads up high, having played well in their first league game and showing great promise for the rest of the season. Today’s quote of the day from the sideline – ‘Find yourself a man!’ – I’m not sure we’ll be encouraging them to do that anywhere other than on the pitch 😉

One Response
  1. iphone 5 :

    Date: September 11, 2011 @ 2:37 am

    I would like to thnkx for your efforts you’ve place in composing this website. I’m hoping the same high-grade website article from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative creating abilities has inspired me to have my own web site now. Actually the running a blog is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up can be a excellent example of it.

Leave a Comment

Your comment

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.